Monday, March 17, 2008

Happy St Patrick's Day!

Happy St Patrick's Day! Are any of you wearing green? I'm not other than I do have on my shamrock socks but that's it! Chloe is wearing her St Patrick's Day shirt. It's cute. It says "Kiss Me I'm American" lol. I remember the big thing in school was if you didn't have green on you got pinched. I was big in the holidays so I always wore green for St Patty's Day. I'd always dress for each holiday.
I bet most of you don't know the story behind St Patrick's day or the shamrock? I didn't until I taught the lesson yesterday in Children's Church. I have a lesson book for different holidays so I did the one for SPD.
Well here is the story behind SPD and the real way it is celebrated (in Ireland-not here).
Patrick is a guy who believe it or not is not Irish. He's not from Ireland. He's from England and he was sold as a child slave and sent to Ireland. As he grew up, he went to seminary school and lived his life serving God and telling others about Jesus, how he loves them and how they can be saved. He felt that God led him to Ireland to tell the Irish people about Jesus and who he really was.
He used the Shamrock to teach them about the Trinity: God as one and 3 persons: God the Father, The Son, and the Holy Ghost. If you notice-the shamrock is one, but has 3 points and that is what it represents. It's God but also the Father, Son, and Holy Ghost.
Today, in Ireland-SPD is not celebrated as it is here. They go to church for worship. I'm not sure about the whole wearing green, getting pinched and all that goes with it but SPD was not originally celebrated to wear green, get pinched, have parties and so on-it was intended to honor a man who spent his life telling others about Jesus Christ so that they could be saved. Isn't that our duty as Christians?
So-today-if you're wearing green and you happen to have on a shamrock-you should share the story of what the TRUE meaning of the shamrock and St Patrick's Day is really about.

No comments: